Sidmouth and the local Area
Out and About in East DevonDuring your stay at Hotel Riviera you should certainly take the opportunity to explore some of the delightful villages, rolling countryside and coastline of East Devon.
On foot, there are breathtaking walks along the Heritage Coast Trail as far as your legs will carry you. By car, the possibilities are too numerous, but here are just a few:
- Dartmoor; with its mile after mile of ever changing scenery, is of course a ‘must’ for every visitor.
- Just to the west of Sidmouth lies the Raleigh Country. Sir Walter was born at Hayes Barton, in a beautiful Tudor building which is now a farmhouse.
- Neighbouring East Budleigh is a peaceful village with thatched cottages climbing a steep hill.
- Due North of here are Bicton Gardens, which were designed by Andre le Notre, who planned the gardens of Versailles, and are of outstanding horticultural interest.
- South of Sidmouth is Budleigh Salterton, whose sea wall is the setting of Sir John Milais’s’ famous painting ‘The Boyhood of Raleigh’.
- To the north is the small town of Ottery St. Mary, birthplace of the poet Samuel Coleridge. The enormous 14th century church was modelled on nearby Exeter Cathedral.
- To the East of Sidmouth, the coastline is riddled with shallow caves and was once notorious for its smugglers.
- A memorable cliff walk links Beer, an enchanting fishing hamlet, with Branscombe, Britain’s second longest village.
- Axmouth, an unspoilt village with a cluster of cottages, and Colyton, a charming little town with a history dating back to AD 700, should also be included on your itinerary.
Walking Through HistorySidmouth and its surroundings offer some of the most beautiful and historic walking country in Britain.
- The quay at Budleigh Salterton inspired John Milais’s’ Boyhood of Raleigh
- Beer’s Roman quarries provided the stone for Exeter Cathedral
- Salcombe Regis retains its 19th century charm
- Branscombe’s Norman church is just one of many well preserved ancient buildings in the area
So, in essence, the Hotel Riviera in Sidmouth remains unsurpassed as one of the finest and most idyllic touring bases in the South West and we very much look forward to welcoming you!